Thursday 31 July 2008

Prizes, Spinners and Hannibal Lecter...

OK, let me put your mind at rest... all the stock was still there when we got back to the marquee on Friday. Everything was EXACTLY as we'd left it... PHEW!

The show was great - not hugely financially rewarding, but great nonetheless. Really friendly stall holders, customers and fair organisers. And yummy cakes in the refreshment tent (which might account for the half a pound I put on at WW on Tuesday!).

We did give out loads of leaflets about our parties, so fingers crossed, we might get a booking which would be brill.

We did have some excitement though - all the stalls were in a class for judging - we were in 'Non-horticultural trade stands' - and we came THIRD!! We were thrilled. We got a certificate and everything. Not that it has made us complacent... Sarah and I spend an hour on Monday scrutinising photographs of our stall trying to see ways to improve it. We realise we still have a long way to go - but if we can improve each time we set up, then we're heading in the right direction.

To that end, yesterday we bought a card spinner - a revolving stand like they have in card shops... you know the sort of thing. We're going to use it to display our 'non jewellery' items, like bookmarks, spectacle chains, key rings, mobile phone charms - and some of Sarah's hand-made cards - to get them off the table and create more space for jewellery. We got an absolute bargain off Ebay. God bless Ebay.

And God bless Vistaprint. For anyone who doesn't know them, they are printers - who constantly have great offers - with many items printed for FREE - yes, FREE. You do pay the postage, which is minimal especially if you are prepared to wait a few weeks, but I recommend having a look at their website. I have ordered some postcards which I have designed myself to act as backing for the items to go in the spinner. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Update on George: he's coming along in leaps and bounds (well, he's not exactly leaping and bounding yet, but progress is pretty rapid). On Tuesday, they got him to stand - strapped into a Hannibal Lecter type contraption. He could only take his weight momentarily with his knees locked, but that is great news. When pressed for a timescale for going home, they have said - with a big 'ish' - minimum of two weeks, maximum of four. That has given him great hope and he's striving for the shortest time. He's like to be at home by the time the GCSE results come out on 21st August. Let's all hope that he makes it.

Still no jewellery to show you, but I'm going to be on a big making session this afternoon, so I'll try to get photos done too and then you can see what I've been up to.

Hope to get back to you tomorrow. In the meantime, take care and much love to all.

3 comments:

CHRIS LINACRE said...

Lesley, Congratulations on the award - are we going to see pictures of the stall? I love to see other people's displays. The card spinner idea sounds good too. Great news on George too who remains in my thoughts and prayers. One thing I have been meaning to ask for ages is where did the Coburg part of your name come from?
xx Chris

Coburg Crafts said...

Hi Chris
I'll think about posting a picture of the stall - although it got a prize, I don't think it looks that good... yet! Bit of a jumble sale!

As for 'Coburg' - it's the name of our house! It's carved in the stone over the front door. When our house was built in 1906 there weren't that many houses in the road and ours didn't have a number. I've done a little bit of research into its history and only found information using the name, never the number!

Thanks for continuing to think about George. We were talking to him on Thursday about how many people, people he'd never met, all over the country were helping his recovery.

Much love,
Lesley xx

Chris Linacre said...

That's interesting Lesley , my house was built in 1906 too. I guess they are pretty rare as the Edwardian period didn't last that long. Mine is caled Ivy Mount. I know what you mean about the Jumbles Sale bit - I'm preparing for a show and making sure I have lots of rummage items to put in a box. They help swell the coffers though :-)
xx Chris