Wednesday 9 January 2008

The Maille of the Species

I promised myself I'd learn lots of new techniques and skills this year, so I started by sending for a couple of chain maille kits. I've had a ball making them. The first is a bangle made with aluminium and rubber rings:

The rubber rings mean that the whole thing is stretchy and so fits over your hand easily.

The second is a bracelet made with five different colours of anodised aluminium and rubber rings:



Martha made off with this one as soon as I'd finished it! The clasp didn't come in the kit - but I thought it was a more secure fastening than their suggestion.

After I'd made these, I had quite a few rings left over so I made some earrings!



I really like these last ones. They are a matching pair, but I've shown them from different aspects as they look quite different. I think they're very 'biker chick'!

I'm very taken with this new skill and keen to try other maille patterns, so I'll be ordering some more rings and hope to show you more soon!

None of these items are going to be on the website as they are very much practice pieces. But, hopefully, I'll be able to offer similar items for sale in the not too distant future.

And just to tempt you... I have some very exciting beads arriving in the next day or two...

No comments: