Had to come and show you what I've been up to. We did more etching in my class on Monday and these are the results.
This one is an 'inny' - the letters are lower than the rest of the surface.
I did this one by rubbing on some letter transfers, painting the whole thing with the resist (stuff that stops the other silver being etched) then carefully scratched away the letters.
I was a bit disappointed that this didn't come out very clean - the acid had eaten away at the resist and given it this rustic look. But it's growing on me!
I expect I should have put the resist on thicker and/or not left it in the acid so long.
And this one is an 'outy'. The design is higher than the rest of the metal.
I drew the design onto the silver with a resist pen - and so the acid ate away at everything else. I'm really pleased with this one and think you may see more of this kind of thing... very soon!
I'm gradually gettting all the bits together to be able to do this at home... My mum has dared me to post a picture of myself when I'm all togged up to do it... pink rubber gloves, mask and protective goggles... watch this space!
Much love xx